Monday, October 18, 2010

Love and Logic

My wiser and older sister (I will have to make sure she sees this) was the one to introduce me to the Love and Logic materials.  I must admit, I was a little hesitant at first to jump on board and read another parenting book.  I had enough of those after reading one that had the WORSE advice ever but it got stuck in my mind as a first time mom with Lydia.  But being the middle child who is cursed with being the one to please, I read it.  My the end of the first page I was sold.  The Love and Logic techniques were easy to apply in my parenting and most importantly incredibly effective.  After passing on the book to every friend, and devouring the Love and Logic website, I realized....HELLO why not apply these ideas to my classroom.   To help me with the process, the Love and Logic Press published another incredible book.  Granted I am not at all sold on the pictures on the cover the pearls of wisdom contained inside are what I ...dare I say it...live  by in the classroom.  I cannot sing the praises of this book enough.  Last year I carried it around with me, ready to use at any moment.  The cover is curled from being read so much.  I think there are more pages folded down then not.  One of my students last year saw me reading it and asked if that was the book that tells me how to give them choices to behave.  It really is all about giving kids more choices, making them think of the right and wrong things, and putting the job of doing the right thing back on them.  One example of this is the idea given in a conversation between a student and teacher using the Love and Logic Principles.

TEACHER: Tom, seems hard for you to listen to me today.  What do you think will happen if you keep talking instead of listening?

STUDENT: I might get a low grade.

TEACHER: That's a possibility.  What else?

STUDENT: You might keep me after school.

TEACHER:That's another possibility.  Anything else?

STUDENT: You might not let me sit next to my friends.

TEACHER: That's another possibility.  Tell you what. I will come back in a couple of minutes.  If it seems you're still having trouble being quite, I  will pick one of those suggestions.


(Teaching with Love and Logic page 166)


So simple for the adult and believe me very effective.   Throughout the year I will post certain Pearls of Love and Logic Wisdom... ideas that are tried and true in our room!

www.loveandlogic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment